My first pair of 18th century mitts are finally finished!
For some reason, the thumbs were giving me fits. It didn’t help that I was also feeling like I was “all thumbs,” especially on the second mitt. I was literally dropping things left and right. I would drop my needle and have to re-thread it. Then I would drop the mitt and have to re-thread the needle again. Needless to say, I couldn’t wait to take the photos for my website (I didn’t even bother to try wiping off the guide markings) and toss them in a drawer.
They’re very pretty — I love the color, especially, but I’m just ready to move on.
In fact, I’m ready to just have fun and not sew for a change.
I’ve had to sew so many layers just to even get to an outfit and accessories, I think it’s time to just wear an outfit and have fun with my friends! In fact, this Saturday will be my first event with my friends. I look forward to having a completed outfit and relaxing.
I still have to finish embroidering and sewing the second pocket, and my husband will not be in costume, but it will be fun regardless of finishing the pocket or not.
Some quick info on the mitts: I used the pattern from this page, the fabrics are taffeta (most likely not silk) and cotton for the lining. I used DMC cotton embroidery floss. Check out the costume gallery mitts page for more information.