If you saw the photos from the last entry, you’ve probably already seen my first finished 18th century costume. The photos are at the bottom of this entry.
Why the “K Gown?”
I named it the K Gown after Kaycee since she had given me some of the fabrics I used (striped under petticoat, green petticoat, and the striped jacket fabric). I actually had not planned on making this style jacket until I saw the fabric and was inspired. It also works great with the green petticoat fabric.
It was a huge help, and I don’t think I would have finished in time without her help. I still have plenty of fabric left for other garments as well!
The jacket is the main part of this outfit. I intend to use the green petticoat for another jacket down the line. This will help me have a few outfits a little quicker than starting from scratch each time.
I used the jacket in the Janet Arnold book Patterns of Fashion 1: 1660-1860 (page 26 , view C). I decided to put the stripes on the sleeves running up and down since it seemed like the original jacket in the drawing had them that way.
I still need to work out some kinks with the pattern I made.
What bothers me
I thought I had fixed the top opening part of the front, but it’s still pulling apart too much and showing the hooks and eyes closing the front edges.
The cuffs hang a little too low, but it was difficult to know what I would be more comfortable with. I’m sure as I make more jackets with sleeves like this, I can vary the length to get them to hang just right. I don’t see myself bothering to fix that part right now as I don’t personally feel it would be worth my time.
I think I also need to consider adding a little more room to the sleeve head as it might be pulling the shoulder straps off my shoulders a little too much. The shift was showing on the side edges, but I also think part of that was an issue with the shift itself. What’s interesting, is that the jacket’s shoulder area sits better on me when I’m wearing a different shirt that isn’t shaped like the shift. Perhaps the shift is pulling the sleeves off the shoulder more than they should be?
I made a last minute decision to tie the shift’s drawstrings a little too tight, and I think it may have thrown things off in the neckline more than I expected.
Also, I had not tried on the jacket with the shift before, and found out it’s an annoying process trying to put on the jacket and keep the neckerchief staying flat on my shoulders/neckline. The shift has elbow-length, fuller sleeves, so they cause a bit of bunching up in the armhole and sleeve area. I thought I had pulled and smoothed things enough, but that might have also added to the neckline issues somehow.
It definitely made for a neckerchief that wasn’t lying how I wanted it to be. It was sticking up too much and was a little too puffy for my tastes.
Finally, it was hot. I know most of that is because I’m not wearing the best kinds of fabrics for layers like this, but it surprised me that my legs were the hottest. My mid-section wasn’t too bad, even with my fully boned stays that have thick cable ties and canvas layers!
Next time, I hope to press the back skirt of the jacket better. I originally had it pressed, but thought it might look nicer without sharp pressing and ironed it smoother. With all of the getting in and out of the car, the jacket’s skirt was wrinkled and didn’t fold correctly.
I’m still pleased
It sounds like I’m picking the outfit apart a lot, but it’s a good thing to see what can be improved for future outfits, or even making them easier to put on and wear.
Still, for my first outing, it wasn’t too bad for a long car ride and wearing everything for just over six hours!
Page added to costume gallery
I’ve added a page for the K Gown to the costume gallery.