Apparently I’m not only addicted to little embroidery projects, but I’m definitely addicted to accessories. I’ve barely started working on one project (a hussif or housewife), and I’m already planning another project (I admit — I’m planning a few).
Here is where I think I’ll do something a little different, and I hope it will be fun! I need your help for this project.
I’m working on some accessories related to sewing and embroidery. Something I can pick up and use at home to make things easier, as well as toss into a basket and take to a costuming event. I’ve got a lot of embroidery floss, knotted thread, and various things that are too big for a hussif. I’ve already made a knotting bag for when I’m using my knotting shuttle, but I figure it wouldn’t hurt to have a few drawstring bags for storage.
I’ve decided to embroider and sew a work bag to hold cards of embroidery floss and knotted threads, as well as any other sewing threads, ribbons, bias tape, or whatever else I may be needing at the time. Nothing huge, but just big enough to be handy.
I don’t think I’ll make a highly detailed embroidery design, and I’m not even sure what it will be yet. It occurred to me, however, that a little proverb or something written in embroidery would be neat. Since items sometimes had little sayings embroidered on them, I thought it would be a nice little touch (not to mention practice). I haven’t done that yet!
That’s where you come in!
I found a short list with some 18th century proverbs, but nothing really stood out. Since this is a work bag, and I’m currently obsessing over putting more work into the details than I should be (embroidering something instead of just sewing it and moving on), I thought something focusing on that aspect would be neat and fitting.
- It doesn’t have to be from the 18th century — if it is modern, but could pass as timeless, I’d be interested in considering it.
- It can even be in French — I love that idea, even if I don’t know French (yet — it’s something my husband and I have always wanted to learn together).
- I’m not religious, but feel free to share it with me if you have a favorite — it might help me think of something similar.
- I’m hoping it’s not too long — I’m still not sure what design I will use, or how I’ll put the text on the project, but keeping it a little short might be wise for my first time trying this.
- And finally, I would definitely love to keep it in a theme about how I keep decorating my sewing projects with embroidery. Even if it doesn’t seem to be about embroidery, but hints at it (like bowerbirds decorating a nest, or something similar in nature).
It can be so hard to think of something if you don’t already see something that inspires you (especially if you have a ton of projects in mind already). I thought it would be fun to see what others think up and help inspire. It would add something special to my bag and be a reminder of the friends I’ve met online and in person.
Thanks in advance!