I finally have an update to share with you.
I originally intended to wear these items to a costuming event this weekend, but wasn’t feeling up to it. I did however want to get some photos and test how well they worked in cold weather.
I have to admit I had a little trouble with the new items. The first, is a Truly Victorian Talma Wrap. The pattern itself is just fine and was rather fun to work with. The problem came when the waist tape snapped off just before taking photos. The waist tape is a rather important piece, as it keeps the wrap against the back in a pleasing manner. I just have to sew it back on more securely. The rather amusing part of that is because I was only going a short distance for a few photos, I didn’t bother to bring my sewing kit. Doesn’t that just figure?
The other item is a small 1880s bonnet. I didn’t use any patterns, and figured things out as I went. I had a few frustrating moments trying to figure out how I should proceed, and almost gave up to make something else. It’s actually very comfortable to wear and quite fun! I did my hair a little differently than I should have though, and this made the bonnet sit back on my head instead of more forward. Ah well! You get the basic idea!
I also got a chance to use the muff with the new black cover! It was a cold morning and all these accessories worked just fine together to keep me warm. In fact, as the sun was coming up (it was a bright day as you can see from the photo on this page), I ended up a little too warm! I also carried a small black reticule with me.
I wore everything over the gray bustle gown, and I’m very happy that I fixed the puckering on the back hem! It’s a very simple skirt to wear, but it’s still rather fun when you layer accessories with it.
Please see the costume pages for more information and photos:
The Talma Wrap,
the Small 1880s Bonnet.