I had a little bit of an interruption (and finished a quick pencil drawing) while working on this one, but I finished yet another drawing. And this time… a new dwarf I haven’t drawn before!
From the dA site:
My husband had a business trip out-of-state for almost a week about a month ago or so. I thought I would draw a new image to help pass the time quickly. The morning he left (Tuesday), I sat down and sketched this in blue pencil directly to Bristol (not my usual small sketching/enlarge/transfer-cleanup). By the next day (Wednesday), I was already starting to ink it.
I still had issues with my eyesight going out quickly on me, so it’s not like I was working for several hours (sadly — I would have finished it within a few days, I think). Some of the blue pencil sketch lines were very loose and vague due to the way I drew this piece, so inking slowed down as I got to those sections. I also had a bit of a brainfart that Thursday (my last day that week to work on it, as I would be away all of Friday and spending time with my husband over the weekend when he got home). For some reason, I couldn’t focus and made stupid mistakes or was sloppy. It was almost like I’d never inked before. Thank goodness for being able to clean up the mess for the most part.
The following week… momentum had been lost. I didn’t want to work on art at all that Monday, and I struggled Tuesday to sketch in some backgrounds. Between allergies driving my eyes nuts again, and the weather getting cooler (and calling me to enjoy it)… well, it took longer than it really should have taken. I finally pushed myself to sit down and finish inking the cooking supplies in the background, and all the landscape in final burst.
I wanted to draw Bombur, because recently I’d been watching the actor’s (Stephen Hunter) video blog and even asking him questions on Twitter about voice acting. He’s such a nice guy, I thought he should be my next drawing. I’m just sorry it took me so long to finish it, much less start it.
Drawn directly onto Bristol using blue pencil, and inked with Black Magic Ink using a Winsor & Newton series 7 #2 brush. Also a few details in size 005 art pen and black pencil. Acrylic white paint for covering up mistakes.
View image here.