– The mitt pattern located on this page.
– Outer fabric, gray (blue and peach shot) taffeta. Most likely not silk.
– Lining, white cotton.
Other materials used:
– White cotton DMC floss.
Disclaimer: These are not based off any actual 18th century mitts in construction/materials or design. They are my attempts to make something that came to mind, quick and easy, so I could have a fun pair of mitts and practice embroidery.
Machine sewing on the side seams, hand sewing to attach lining and outer fabric, hand sewing to attach thumbs. Hand embroidery.
I need to adjust my pattern for the next time I make a pair of mitts. The thumb piece I made does not work smoothly yet, but I didn’t have time to mess around trying to perfect it. Also, although my pattern would probably work as-is with most linens and wools that have a lot more stretch, I have to work to put on and take off the mitts more than I should. I tried to take that into account with the first mitt (left) — cutting on the bias, stitching into the seam allowance a little — but it wasn’t enough. The right mitt, I added a little extra, but didn’t want to have it look off. The right mitt fits a little better.
Since I was in a bit of a hurry, and the thumb pieces were annoying me, I skipped lining them. The mitts are lined, except for the thumbs.
I also know that I should look into buying nicer embroidery floss for future projects. No matter what I did, I didn’t get as smooth a line as I’d hoped on this fabric. (edited to add: The embroidery design was something I came up with that would fill a lot of space quickly.)
I forgot to clean the guidelines off the fabric before taking photos.
Here are blog entries that mention 18th century mitts: