My first 18th century embroidered pockets

I originally wasn’t going to try embroidery, but whenever I thought about making the pockets I kept thinking about a design to go with them.  I didn’t bother making the design historically accurate, and instead thought of a few things to learn some stitches and see if I could even do it.  If I didn’t do a good job, they would be hidden under layers of petticoats.  Turns out, I really enjoy embroidery!

Patterns used:
– Pocket pattern:  Patterns of Fashion 1: 1660-1860, by Janet Arnold.

– Embroidery design: My own design from ideas I had for practice and fun.  Not based off any historical examples.

Fabrics used:
– White cotton for my first attempt.

Other materials used:
– White store-bought bias binding.
– DMC cotton embroidery thread.
– White store-bought twill tape.

Hand embroidery, hand and machine sewing.

Photos:

My first embroidery project: the first of two 18th century pockets.

A closeup of the flower and vines section.

I used a light box to transfer my design to the fabric for embroidering.

I used a scrolling embroidery frame to work on the pocket.

Starting the second, matching pocket.

Here are my blog entries that mention 18th century pockets:

Main entry.

Entries that mention pockets.

2 Responses to My first 18th century embroidered pockets

  1. Pingback: CFGriffith.com » Blog Archive » Current projects for 18th century costuming

  2. Pingback: CFGriffith.com » Blog Archive » Gray 18th century embroidered mitts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *